January 1, 2015

Warm & Quiet

One thing I really dislike is being cold, as such I plan to insulate the van as well as possible to retain as much heat as it can, in addition I'll be fitting the Eberspacher D2 which I have removed from the old van.

In addition to the insulation I also decided to add some extra sound deadening to the panels to keep things nice and quiet in the back.

So with shopping list in hand, B&Q was the next stop.  Two Cellotex 1" thick boards, flash banding of various widths, foil insulation rolls, and some aluminium tape for tidying up.



First things first, take the panels off, carefully so as not to break any clips, then I applied a single layer of flash banding on the exposed panels.  It's interesting to see how little VW use when the van leaves the factory.  Next was a layer of the foil insulation, then a layer of cellotex, more foil, another layer of cellotex and a final foil layer.



The process was then repeated for the rest of the panels and rear doors too.



The pictures above show the other panels in various stages of completion, you'll see its not a tidy job, but hopefully an effective one.

The panels were all refitted, and after a full day of cutting trimming and sticking, the van looks absolutely no different.  Although I noticed a huge difference when I shut the doors, there's a good solid "thunk" where previously there was a hollow "clang".


No comments:

Post a Comment